How to take a wake.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take a wake.....

I had the lovely experience of having a tricked out ski boat run by me at about 20 yards with a huge wake headed my way... With little time to react, I turned bow into the tsunami an took a little water over the bow..no big deal, kind of nerve racking at first but I was more pissed off than worried about capsizing etc. after I calmed down and resumed my leisurely drowning of bait... Not a lot of bites...... I started to wonder what is the recommended way to approach a large wake or wave while in a yak?? Is it better to go head on or 1/4 away or 1/4 into the wave ?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I always go straight at them if I have a chance. Kind of spooked quartering at them.

Comment

given time to turn
      bow into the wake is the best and affords you most control.
      taking it from the stern works if you're comfortable with rollercoaster rides.
      quartering - only if there's not a set of wakes heading your way. quartering through a set can spin the bow and if you overcompensate a weight shift you may end up swimming.

Comment

I bobbed over numerous wakes today coming from many directions, but got caught in what may have been a set of tightly-spaces waves set up by tidal currents converging. I was paddling across an inlet in North Wildwood, NJ with the current pushing me. All of a sudden there was a series of 2 ft waves bearing down on me from the side. I tried to turn but they were on me quickly. I took a few over the bow, but that water went out the scupper holes. One wave caught me broadside as I was rolling off of the previous wave. I never came close to capsizing, but did take a large load of water into my seating well. That assured a wet butt for the ride home.

The moral of that story is to avoid taking waves or wakes at a 90 deg angle if possible. You will roll from side to side and run the risk of catching the next wave in line over your gunwales. Also, if you are paddling in rough water, keep at least some of the scupper holes open.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks to all of you who answered... Makes sense about being broadside... I love this forum...always get insightful info from the dedicated users.... Thanks again everyone!!
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Working...
          X